Subscribe to the RSS Feed

What to do if your husband or wife (or ex) has abducted your child to a foreign country.

Ohio child abduction information from an Ohio Family Law Attorney.

What to Do If Your Spouse or Other Parent Abducts Your Child from Ohio to Another Country

It can be a scary revelation to learn that your spouse or the other parent may have abducted your child to another county.  It is important that you act quickly and take the necessary steps to protect your rights as a parent and to insure the safe return of your child.  Here are a few sources that you should contact.

1.  Contact Your Local Police Department – Your local police will be able to create a missing person report for both the other parent and the child.  More importantly, you will need to follow-up with the police and make sure that the information is entered into the National Criminal Information Center (NCIC), this is a database that is utilized by various national agencies such as the FBI and the U.S. Department of State.  Once the report is in the NCIC, INTERPOL or other agencies may be able to flag the passports of your child and the other parent so that they can be picked up at a border by the appropriate authorities.

The Franklin County Police’s website can be found at:

A good resource for all of the law enforcement agencies in Ohio :

2.  Contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of Children’s Issues – The U.S. Department of State is available to help you open an International Parental Abduction Case.  This office will also be able to assist you with the process and even contact other agencies to coordinate the efforts to locate your child.

You can find out more about opening an International Parental Abduction Case here:

You may want to locate an attorney experienced in assisting parents with the return of abducted children.  Whether your child has been abducted to a country which is part of the Hague Convention of 25 October 1980 on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, or to another country, help is available.  You may need the assistance of an attorney who is admitted to practice in federal court.  Call the Law Offices of Virginia C. Cornwell today at 614-225-9316 to discuss your options.

Virginia Cornwell is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio.  



  1. T says

    Where does it say in law that one parent has to give consent to let the other parent (divorced) take the minor child out of the U.S. for vacation, especially if it is not specifically said in the custody papers? I know the airlines usually require consent from the absent parent. And most countries like Mexico view the father as having the rights more so than the mother. I would say from what I can find from the Department of State website, the most difficulty is re-entering the U.S. without that consent document. And what kind of consent document is valid?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.