Subscribe to the RSS Feed

Can you sue for a broken heart?

Columbus Ohio Family LawyerVirginia Cornwell is an Ohio Family Lawyer and one of approximately 100 Ohio State Bar Association Certified Family Relations Specialist in Ohio.

Did you have a change of heart and leave your fiancé at the altar? If so, be glad that you are in Ohio where “heart balm actions” have been abolished.  In 1978 Ohio passed Ohio Revised Code 2305.29, also known as the Heart Balm Statute, which says that no person shall be liable for civil damages in the following types of cases:

  • breach of a promise to marry
  • alienation of affections
  • criminal conversation

CALL NOW  at (614) 225-9316

Later cases have generally found that the following types of actions are also abolished under the statute, at least when it relates to civil damages for a failed relationship or a person wronged in a relationship:

  • enticement
  • intentional infliction of emotional distress
  • fraud
  • negligence

CALL NOW  at (614) 225-9316

OHIO FAMILY LAWYER PATERNITY FATHERS RIGHTSAlthough some states will still allow heart balm actions, Ohio does not.  You cannot sue the person who stole your spouse away from you for money damages, and you cannot sue your spouse for money damages in a civil case for cheating on you.  Generally, you cannot successfully sue your fiancé for leaving you at the altar, even if you had already spent a lot of money on the wedding.

Be sure to also take a look at our article about returning the wedding ring after a broken engagement in Ohio.

If you have further questions, please call our office at 614-225-9316 to arrange a time to speak with a Family Lawyer.

CALL NOW  at (614) 225-9316

DISCLAIMER – Read it, it’s important!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.