Subscribe to the RSS Feed

Columbus Ohio Father’s Rights Attorney

Father Infant Visitation Ohio Father's LawyerColumbus Ohio Father’s Rights Attorney

In Ohio, does a father have a right to get visitation, even if paternity has not yet been established?

Does the law regarding an Ohio Father’s Rights include  the right for the father to request temporary orders regarding visitation or custody, even if paternity has not yet been established?

Franklin County Ohio Father's Rights LawyerThe answer is YES.  Since  the husband is presumed to be the biological father when a child is born to a couple who is married, this issue applies to Ohio Father’s Rights situations where the mother and father of a child were never married.  Ohio Revised Code 3109.043 (Temporary Custody Order While Action is Pending) states the following regarding an Ohio Father’s Rights to visitation and/or custody while a court case is pending, or temporary orders:

In any proceeding pertaining to the allocation of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of a child, when requested in the complaint, answer, or counterclaim, or by motion served with the pleading, upon satisfactory proof by affidavit duly filed with the clerk of the court, the court, without oral hearing and for good cause shown, may make a temporary order regarding the allocation of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the child while the action is pending.

If a parent and child relationship has not already been established pursuant to section 3111.02 of the Revised Code, the court may take into consideration when determining whether to award parenting time, visitation rights, or temporary custody to a putative father that the putative father is named on the birth record of the child, the child has the putative father’s surname, or a clear pattern of a parent and child relationship between the child and the putative father exists.

Effective Date: 05-17-2006

CALL NOW (614) 225-9316

Licking Union Richland Knox Morrow County Ohio Father's AttorneyThere are several things about that statute that you want to read carefully.  Every word matters.  Here is some additional information about important phrases from the statute:


    • First, this means a COURT proceeding.  It does NOT apply to an administrative proceeding for child support through the CSEA.  The CSEA has no authority to order visitation.  Sometimes, during an administrative child support proceeding, if the parties agree, the CSEA attorney or liason will give the parties a form to seek court ordered visitation, but that form is still submitted to the COURT, and is not ordered by the CSEA.
    • Second, notice the phrase “parental rights and responsibilities”.  This means that if a Father files a motion in an actions which was only filed as a grandparent visitation proceeding, the court may find that it has no authority to make temporary orders for visitation for the Father.  The Father may file a motion to be made a party to the grandparent visitation proceeding, but unless he files a Complaint for the Allocation of Parental Rights and Responsibilities (and, if applicable, for establishment of paternity), the court may find that the action is not a “proceeding pertaining to the allocation of parental rights and responsibilities), and therefore deny the Father’s request for Temporary Visitation.  (The Mother would, at that point, still have full custody of the child pursuant to 3109.042, and would not need temporary orders for visitation.)
    • Temporary Orders are available during the INITIAL proceeding, not in post-decree proceedings.
    • Temporary Orders of visitation are not available in a court proceeding which is merely an objection to an administrative child support order.  The court proceeding has to include a complaint, answer or counterclaim for parental rights and responsibilities.

CALL NOW (614) 225-9316


To establish an Ohio Father’s Rights to temporary visitation or custody, the Father, or his Ohio Father’s Rights Attorney, should request temporary orders pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 3109.043 in his Complaint, or his Answer to the Mother’s Complaint, if the Mother filed the Complaint.  In the alternative, the Father can seek his Ohio Father’s Rights by filing a motion.  It is unclear from the statute whether his Motion must be served with his Complaint, Answer or Counterclaim, but it is the better practice to file the Motion at the outset of the case.  In addition, sometimes a request tucked at the end of a Complaint Answer or Counterclaim escapes the notice of the court at the initial hearing, but a Motion which is pending on the Court’s Docket is more likely to be noticed and addressed at the first hearing.

CALL NOW (614) 225-9316

Paternity established no child support order visitation go to courtSomething that is important to note is that if child support is not yet established, but paternity is established (perhaps through an Affidavit signed at the child’s birth which allows the Father’s name to be on the child’s birth certificate), Ohio judges and magistrates almost always establish a temporary order of child support.  If the father, or his attorney, has not already filed a Motion for Temporary Orders or requested temporary orders in his complaint, this would be a great time to point out that Ohio Revised Code 3119.08 mandates the following:

Whenever a court issues a child support order, it shall include in the order specific provisions for regular, holiday, vacation, parenting time, and special visitation in accordance with section 3109.0513109.11, or 3109.12 of the Revised Code or in accordance with any other applicable section of the Revised Code.

Effective Date: 03-22-2001

Ohio County Temporary Orders Affidavit Motion Affidavit Temporary Orders

CALL NOW (614) 225-9316


If you don’t know what an affidavit is, there are several sources you can consult to make sure you know what it is and you are preparing your affidavit correctly.  Here are some additional resources regarding Temporary Orders Affidavits:

Book and Forms Temporary Orders Affidavits in OhioWITHOUT ORAL HEARING AND WITH GOOD CAUSE SHOWN:

This means that the court does not have to require a full hearing, with the presentation of testimony, to make temporary orders.  It also means that the burden is upon Fathers to show the court good cause in their affidavits regarding why they should have temporary custody or visitation.  If your county doesn’t have a form affidavit that you can use and which asks all the court needs to know about the best interest of the child, then you may have to submit narrative affidavits.

CALL NOW  at (614) 225-9316 or contact us by e-mail.




  1. CF says

    My fiancee (who was never married to the “mother”) has been granted temporary emergency custody of his son, he is not yet 2 yrs old and his “mother” is insane. My fiancee is trying to get permanent custody without visitation and has filed a motion for such, but it has not yet been heard. Are any men ever successful in being granted something like this? The ORC is extremely gender-biased and speaks as though no men are ever granted custody…but here we are! She is clearly not in the baby’s best interest, but how do you prove that without being viewed as overly litigious? Also he would like to change the baby’s last name to his…if the “mother” doesn’t agree to this, what is his recourse?

  2. Anonymous says

    this father has had absolutley no contact with this child i am the only daddy he has ever had and now he wants to turn this little boys life upside down he is almost 4 years old he knows nothing about him or his family he only knows us and a little more info the father stated to me and his mother he didn’t want anything to with him ,now he wants visition and he is only doing this out of spite,you would have to know the family to understand,what rights if any does he have,this little boy would be terrified of him,please comment, terribly worried,i love this baby,can anybody help?

  3. D says


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.