Subscribe to the RSS Feed

Sue for Custody in Ohio

Ohio Sue for CustodyOur Ohio Custody Attorneys understand that nothing is more precious to a parent than their child.  Whether you wish to establish custody for the first time, or are seeking a post-decree change of custody, you want an honest opinion about your options.  From our office in Columbus, Ohio (Franklin County) we help clients all over Ohio who want to legally establish parental rights and responsibilities and insure that they are part of their child’s lives.  We help unmarried fathers and mothers, husbands and wives, and grandparents, aunts, uncles and other relatives when they need to sue for custody of a child.

Ohio Sue for CustodyOur experienced Ohio Custody Attorneys are ready to help client with both contested and uncontested cases.  Not every case has to be a custody battle.  If you and your ex cannot reach an agreement on your own, we may be able to help you reach agreement.  You could also go to mediation.  If you wish, one of our Ohio Custody Attorneys will go to mediation with you, to make sure you understand the legal implications of any agreement you make.  If your local court system offers mediation but will not let your attorney go to the mediation with you, you can hire a mediator that does not work for the court system.  There are options.

Sometimes, despite your best efforts, parents cannot agree.   Some cases cannot be settled.  Barriers to agreement can include matters such as emotional fallout from the end of the parents’ relationship, parental alienation, mental health issues and more.  Some parents simply do not understand that a child needs both parents in his or her life, regardless of the relationship between the parents, or lack thereof, during the pregnancy.

Ohio Sue For CustodyOur firm is led by an Ohio State Bar Association Certified Family Relations Specialist, one of approximately 100 attorneys in Ohio to receive this certification.  Our Ohio Custody Attorneys understand that when custody of a child is at stake, it is not enough to simply show up at court and talk.  It’s about evidence, the law and the best interest of the child.  It’s about testimony and PROOF.  A piece of paper is meaningless to a court if it’s not admissible according to the Ohio Rules of Evidence, no matter what is written on that paper.   At the end of the day, it’s about doing your homework.


Each Ohio Custody Attorney in our firm can help you with questions such as:

  • How do you sue for custody in Ohio?
  • If I am the residential parent, does that mean that the other parent has to pay child support to me?
  • What is “the best interest of the child” in Ohio?
  • What is shared parenting?
  • How does a court decide if shared parenting is in the best interest of the child?
  • How do I get 50/50 parenting time?
  • If I have 50/50 time, do I still have to pay child support?
  • Is being the school placement parent the same thing as being the residential parent?
  • If I am the residential parent, does that mean the same thing as having sole custody?
  • How does a court decide a change of custody in Ohio?
  • What does “change of circumstances” mean?
  • What are some examples of a change of circumstances?
  • If the other parent moves, is that a change of circumstances?
  • Can I get joint custody in Ohio?
  • I live in a different state as the other parent.  Can they sue in their state, or do they have to sue for custody in Ohio?
  • I want equal parenting time with my child.  Do I have to sue for custody to get it?
  • What if the parents both agree, but I just need to hire someone to prepare the paperwork for me?
  • What do I have to do to get a post-decree custody modification?
  • Can I get my court papers changed if my son or daughter wants to live with me?
  • I think the other parent is abusing our child.  Can I file papers for emergency custody?
  • Is verbal abuse a reason for a post decree modification?
  • Does my child need a guardian ad litem?

To have your questions answered by one of our Ohio Custody Attorneys, please call our office at